When it comes to sexual health, even a veteran player can learn something new. So, huddle up because sexual health is an issue that you don't want to fumble. The key is knowing that sexual health is an important part of your overall health. And there are things you can do to stay at your best - starting with talking to your doctor.
KNOW YOURSELF, KNOW YOUR OPPONENT:
- Sexual health issues come in lots of different forms - from sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) to loss of desire to problems with erectile function.
- More than 65 million people in the U.S. are currently living with an STD.
Approximately 950,000 U.S. residents are living with HIV infection.
- A decrease in sexual desire may be related to the level of testosterone in a man's body. When loss of desire is caused by low testosterone, it's likely to be treatable.
- More than 50% of all men over 40 years old have some decrease in erectile function. Not being able to maintain or even get an erection are signs of decreased erectile function. Doctors call this ED, or erectile dysfunction.
- A change in a man's erectile function, or erection quality, is important for a couple of reasons. Obviously, it impacts a guy's sex life. It could also signal other health conditions that need to be checked out - like high blood pressure.
HOW TO PLAY IT:
Stay Healthy. Good overall health contributes to good sexual health - so get a handle on stress, your weight, and other factors. Even getting enough sleep or relieving pressure from work may make a difference.
Wear protective gear. Practicing safe sex is another way to protect your sexual health.
Watch for changes in erection quality, such as a decrease in hardness or difficulty maintaining an erection.
Get to the root of the problem. For instance, if you smoke or are overweight, stop smoking or take steps to adjust your diet.
Talk to your doctor. Your sexual health is an important part of your overall health. So, if you have any concerns, your doctor needs to know it.
Want to learn more about your erectile function? Check out the Sexual Health Inventory for Men at TacklingMensHealth.com. By doing what you can to maintain your sexual health, one of life's most pleasurable experiences can stay that way.